Wednesday, November 12, 2008

(Does he look like he is ready to know about drugs?? I don't think so!)

I discussed the situation with B's teacher. She says it's part of the curriculum. I said, for 8 year olds?? Why on this or any other planet does an innocent 8 year old need to know about illegal drugs?? Perhaps knowing that these things exist and to prepare them in case they are approached, but to teach specific things?? No way.. Home school sounds better every year! And we are fortunate because we have 3 other families around us that would all pitch in if it came down to it.

His teacher was very understanding and accommodating. She prepared a separate test just for him and sent it home for approval. As a parent herself, she understands, but is only doing what she is required to do. Lots of parents in our area are single mom's and don't teach their kids about much. They fend for themselves and the parent depends on the public schools to teach them. But there's a whole other bunch of parents who do and who believe that the schools have NO business teaching government branded morality.

So, Tuesday the 18th is the school board meeting and I plan to attend.

1 comment:

Mrs TD said...

I am glad things are working out on the short term. I just can't imagine hearing my little ones speak details about these things...not yet, they are still babies! Well, I do have to say that we go against much of the culture as far as the toys we have, shows we watch and clothes we wear. So, we are pretty weird. :) I agree...continuing to home school sounds better and better.

Let us know how things go with the school board meeting.

Miss ya!